David's EDCI 335 Blog

Interaction

Our Interactive Learning Design subject is Developing a Growth Mindset. The video that I chose is called “Developing a Growth Mindset” from YouTube.

2. In what way are they likely to respond to the video on their own, e.g. make notes, do an activity, think about the topic (learner-generated)?

The video I chose is an animation video that describes a growth mindset and a fixed mindset. It explains what their characteristics are and how their thought processes are different using very detailed examples. It also clarifies how to identify what your mindset is and how to change your mindset from a fixed mindset to a growth mindset. The students watching the video would likely think about the topic of Developing a Growth Mindset and make notes. Students will be able to define the meaning and characteristics of a growth mindset and compare and contrast a fixed mindset as a response to the video.

3. What activity could you suggest that they do, after they have watched the video (designed)? What type of knowledge or skill would that activity help develop? What medium or technology would students use to do the activity?

The activity I would suggest that students do after watching the video would be a group work activity where students within groups identify their mindsets and share them with each other. This would help students to know what their current mindsets are, identify the meaning of the different types of mindsets and compare and contrast the different types of mindsets. This activity will require the use of video conferencing technology such as Zoom, Microsoft Teams and Skype for students to be sent to their groups’ breakout rooms for discussions.

4. How would students get feedback on the activity that you set? What medium or technology would they and/or you use for getting and giving feedback on their activity?

Technologies that will be utilized to give feedback on the activities of students would be WordPress blogs and Quizlet quizzes. Students can create and utilize their WordPress blogs to post their thoughts and provide feedback to other students through comments. Feedback can be provided based on their blog posts and comments. Quizlet can be used to test the knowledge of the students and feedback can be provided based on their grades.

7. How will you address any potential barriers for your learners in the use of this video to ensure an inclusive design?

The video I chose is an extremely well-animated video that incorporates engaging multimedia elements for our target audience which are grade 10 to 12 students. This would increase students’ interest in classes, keeps them motivated and increase the quality of the work they produce. This video covers a small subtopic of our Interactive Learning Design which promotes easier learning for students. Also, enhanced accessibility of online learning design allows students to access learning materials and activities in their own homes and countries.

1. liamshatzel March 11, 2023

Hi David,
    I found the animated video you chose to be really well-made and interesting to watch. I like how you incorporated group work as the interactive activity. I also think having students create WordPress blogs is a great idea to generate more discussion.

2. lance March 12, 2023

This video “Developing a Growth Mindset‘ is very interesting. I have watched the video and this video has showed the inteaction activities. And this is good for 10-12 students, and it develops the capacities of the targeted audience. And it is a good way to show the feedback, and it can enhance students’ capacities.

3. mcurdyk March 12, 2023

Hi David, I really enjoyed the video you chose as this is one that I also watched in regards to this topic. I appreciated that this video compared with a fixed mindset as this felt like it created reference. The video did feel like one that would be helpful to create notes on. I also liked the use of group work that you described and feel as though this is an excellent use of interaction in educational design. The use of the word engaging felt very appropriate for this video because it is short in length and has lots of changing animation. As well as, I agree that it would help the students to produce better work and easier learning, which is a very positive addition to an educational experience.

4. Anastassiya March 16, 2023

Hi David! What an engaging video you have found! I really like its storytelling style! It engages the viewer to keep watching! Also, it is a great idea to include a discussion! It may be challenging to execute it via ZOOM. You can brainstorm ideas with your learning pod on how to do it. How to make the rules/requirements clear for students? How to facilitate the discussion activity; so everyone feels included?

5. Sidney Gibb March 26, 2023

Hi David, this video was great! I thought your suggestion of a group discussion was awesome, I think you could even provide guiding questions that could keep students on track, as a way to grade or value their engagement on a scale based on participation. I wonder how you would get everyone to participate in this activity, would you allow for some to not participate due to shyness or disinterest in the topic. Just a few questions that I think could make your ideas stronger. As always great post and thanks so much!